Supply Side

Starz struggles to find footing after Lionsgate separation

By SOS. News Desk | Aug 17, 2025

In its first earnings report since splitting from Lionsgate, Starz posted a nearly $43 million net loss and lost 520,000 subscribers in North America. The results highlight the challenge for the newly independent company as it navigates the streaming wars on its own.

  • Subscriber bleed: The subscriber drop included 120,000 streaming customers and 290,000 linear TV subscribers in the U.S. CEO Jeff Hirsch blamed the dip on the underperformance of the network’s crime drama "BMF.

  • Prequel to the rescue: But Starz is pinning its hopes for a turnaround on its content slate. The company touted the premiere of its "Outlander" prequel, "Blood of My Blood," which it said delivered the third-largest number of new sign-ups for any series premiere in its history. "Our content strategy continues to resonate with our audience," Hirsch said in a statement.

The report puts Starz in a tough spot as an independent, smaller player in an industry dominated by giants. Just last week, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer told investors a future M&A deal for the studio is “probably gonna happen,” explaining that the split was designed to create “optionality for both sides.”

Credit: JHVEPhoto (edited)

Key Takeaways

  • Starz reported a $43 million net loss and a loss of 520,000 subscribers in its first earnings report since splitting from Lionsgate.

  • The subscriber decline includes 120,000 streaming and 290,000 linear TV customers, attributed to the underperformance of the crime drama "BMF."

  • Starz is banking on the "Outlander" prequel, "Blood of My Blood," to drive new sign-ups, marking the third-largest premiere in its history.

  • Lionsgate CEO hints at a potential M&A deal, suggesting the split was to create strategic options for both companies.

  • Starz plans to reduce annual content spending to $600 million-$650 million to carve a path to profitability.